Sunday, March 05, 2006

calder goers


calder goers, originally uploaded by eastaltus.

Went to the Alexander Calder exhibit at the MOMA this weekend. I have to admit I was more into it than I was expecting to be. I know a trip to the museum will never disappoint in some way, I have too many faves in the permanent collection and the gift shop's wall of art books always demands careful inspection.
The exhibit focused on Calder's contribution to the Surrealist movement and had several other paintings and sculptures on eye.
Not to be pedestrian in the slightest, but really the mobiles and stabiles by Calder are fantastic. Living ink drawings to me and boy, that is right up my alley.
I love the amorphous rounded-edge shapes so consistent in that period that influenced past fine art and into my fave furniture, graphic design fallback cliche's, and commercial animation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick Sung said...

really cool work ric--
i'm a fan of the aesthetic!

7:07 AM  
Blogger ric carrasquillo said...

Thanks Nick, that means alot coming from you.
I am a big fan of your compositions.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter