Saturday, July 16, 2005

strange pith


strange pith, originally uploaded by eastaltus.

I was looking at some old EC covers of Weird Science and Weird fantasy, particularly some illustrated by Jack Davis. I must've have seen those covers a dozen times, but I still get inspired by all those tiny lines amidst a rock solid composition. I can't help but be in awe of the sheer craftmanship in alot of golden age comic illustration. You can sense the time invested in each panel, the skill in each brushstroke. I can go on and on about the lines, but really the strength of those pieces lie in the firm grasp of basic visual storytelling. You look at a cover for Weird Science and you can't help but get drawn into that world and want to know what else happens inside.
I am no purist by any means, photocopied minimilist doodles are as much an inspiration to my work as any EC cover so rock on with comics in general.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter